Online Manila | Few investments are profitable. Business ownership and securities investment and speculation are tested. Most reliable? Estate. Property? Real estate, like other investments, has pros and cons. However, understanding both will help homeowners reduce hazards and maximize property value.
- Capital Growth – The value of most homes eventually grows over time and can be financially beneficial when the property is well-chosen. Apart from steady capital growth, gains from a real estate investment can also be earned via regular monthly rental returns.
- It’s a safe investment – While there remain some risks, real estate is among the more forgiving investments. For example, even if a house turns out to be among the worst in its area, chances are that its value still increases over time. In addition, the property is also an asset that can be insured against risks like fire/calamity damage, tenants damaging the property, or not completing the lease, among others.
- Complete knowledge is not required to start – Unlike with stocks or opening up a business, extensive expertise is not needed to begin investing in property. Investors are also in full control of their properties, making all the decisions and owning all returns.
- Liquidity, or specifically, a lack of it – Although property can be sold when needed, the process is not as quick as selling other investments like stocks and bonds.
- Ongoing expenses – Along with the initial costs of investing in property, ongoing costs of fitting out the property, repairs, land tax, utilities, insurance, among others, must also be considered.
- Times with no tenants/bad tenants – Not all properties for rent will have tenants all the time, and during these periods, your property may seem like more of an expense than an asset. Then there may be times that you do have renters, but they’re the types who are problematic and cause problems like property damage or don’t pay on time.
Begin with the end in mind
Once you’ve determined the number of risks you are willing to take versus the potential benefits you’ll get from buying a new home, you can then begin thinking of exactly how you can go about earning from your real estate investment:
- Owning and renting out to earn steady income
- Buying to sell for a profit
- Improving homes to increase their value (flipping)
- Investing in mortgage notes
- Investing in real estate securities like municipal bonds
The best way to determine which is best for you? Ask what it is you want to achieve in real estate investing. Is it about financial freedom? Is it about sustaining yourself and your family for the long term? What location/s do you want to make property investments in? Do you see yourself staying there for the foreseeable future?
By setting clear goals, you eventually find your niche, which then makes it a little easier to establish the needed expertise in the area you’re investing in and/or the market you’ll be catering to.
Read: Can Real Estate Help in Earning Passive Income?
Finalize your finances
It is as good as a given that your finances are what ultimately determines if and when you’ll be able to begin investing in new homes and other types of real estate. Now while the down payment and accompanying home loan is what you’ve likely been most preparing for, there are also the different costs associated with buying that you’ll need to prepare for. These include documentary stamp and transfer taxes, registration fees, and other expenses.
The things you need to cover don’t end upon your buying of a property however since along with your monthly home loan payments there are also the costs of needed maintenance and possible repairs throughout your property ownership to consider.
Work with a real estate professional
Your initial entry into real estate investing is the opportune time to work with a real estate professional. Along with helping you prepare for your property purchase, a trusted agent will also help you better leverage the money you have for the best investment/s possible.
For example, while some banks or financial institutions tend to approve loans and/or grant lower interest rates to borrowers who make a down payment larger than 20-percent on their properties, you can decide to not do this and instead use your available finances to make a downpayment on two homes for sale and effectively get two investments instead of one.
The right agent can help you find affordable homes for sale that are worth investing in, and help ensure that everything is done completely and legally during the entire purchasing process.
At Ohmyhome, we feature the best and latest homes for sale in the Philippines. Whether it’s a house and lot or a condo for sale that you want to invest in, you can find the property suited to your needs and budget quickly and conveniently on both the Ohmyhome website and the official Ohmyhome app.
Ohmyhome was launched in the Philippines in September 2020, following the company’s establishment of a tech team in the country in 2017. Ohmyhome was originally founded in 2016, and subsequently rose in Singapore as a leading PropTech solution and licensed real estate agency.
Ohmyhome expanded into the Philippines so that Filipino home seekers can have a real estate partner that they can trust to have their best interests at heart and can be relied upon to provide exceptional services throughout the entire property journey.
Featuring thousands of properties across many of the Philippines’ major real estate brands, Ohmyhome differs from other local platforms by going the extra mile and extensively helping buyers narrow down their choices and find the property that best suits their budgets, home needs, and lifestyle preferences.
The company’s Real Estate agents help in the shortlisting of options and provide professional services through the entire purchasing process. These include assistance in property inspections, negotiations, the finalization of the Conditions of Sale, deposit collection, the submission of property documents, as well as providing buyers regular updates.
Ohmyhome helps Filipinos find their dream homes, all while making sure each real estate transaction is complete and is an efficient and enjoyable experience.
Stay connected with Ohmyhome Philippines by following our official Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts.
Riding the Wave to E-commerce Marketing Success with Wavvy
Subway® and Mayani support the call against malnutrition with #SubwayGivesPack
Beat the summer heat with Mang Inasal’s Extra Creamy Halo-Halo